Lt Col (Dr.) WMMS Bandara
Snr. Lecturer in Biochemistry
Subject Head – Biochemistry
Contact Details: Phone : 00-94-71-4917612
Fax : 00- 94-11-2638660
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- B.Sc . (Hons) University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 2003.
- MSc. University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 2005.
- MS. Wayne State University, Detrot MI, USA, 2010.
- PhD – ( University of Colombo , Sri Lanka) 2018.
- Biochemistry & molecular biologyy
- Cell biology
- Next Generation Sequencing Technology by Illumina, USA, 2015
- Stem cells and regenerative medicine by Manipal Institute of Regenerative Medicine, Bangalore, India, 15-30 th January 2013
- Radiological Health/ radiation Safety, Health Physics Office, Wayne State University, USA (May 2010)
- Investigating the Mouse by the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources and The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Wayne State University, USA (April 2010
- Cytogenetics and Fluorescence in situ hybridization conducted by Human Genetics Unit, University of Colombo in collaboration with Kings College London (February 2014)
- Stem Cell Technology by Institute of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Colombo. (November 2012)
- 12th FERCAP International conference conducted by Forum for Ethical Review Committees in Asia and the Western Pacific Region. (18th -21st of November 2012)
- Quality Assurance in Genetic Diagnostic Laboratories -Molecular Genetics, Cytogenetics, Biochemical Genetics & Newborn screening” Organized by the Human Genetics Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka in collaboration with the European Molecular Genetics Quality Network (6th and 7th of February 2012)
- Bioinformatics, by the School of Computing, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. (28th of August 2006)
- Postgraduate Certificate Course in Practical Molecular Biology conducted by Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture (PGIA), University of Peradeniya (28th of March to 8th of April, 2005).
- Molecular applications in microbiology by Agricultural Biotechnology Center, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (27th to 28th of December 2004)
- Molecular characterization of animals by Agricultural Biotechnology Center, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (11th to 13th of December 2004)
- Neuroscience and Molecular Biology by Asia Pasific Society for Neurochemistry. Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (9th to 13th of August 2004)
- The certificate course in Gene Technology conducted by Genetech School of gene Technology, Sri Lanka (22nd of May to 6th of June 2003)
- Vacation training programme entitled “Development of PCR Techniques for Rapid Diagnosis of Brucella infections and their Epidemiological investigation”, Veterinary Research Institute. Sri Lanka (10th of April to 21st of May 2002)
- Cancer stem cells
- Member of the editorial committee of IRC-2018.
- Member of the subcommittee for food and beverage coordination in Mayo Clinic -KDU 2018.
- Member of subcommittee to prepare posters/banners to display & video presentation for the open day –FOM KDU 2017.
- Member of the committee to organize the introductory programme for MBBS cadets /intake 32.
- Member of the subcommittee for food and beverage coordination in the plenary and technical sessions of FOM-KDU IRC 2016.
- Member of the committee appointed to study and submit academic work norms for FOM-KDU.
- Member of the Technical/Plenary session organizing committee of Allied Health Science Session- Annual Symposium of KDU-2014.
- Member of the committee to upgrade/update & maintain the KDU website.
- Member of seating arrangement and ushering committee of the Annual Symposium of KDU-2012.
- Member of the miscellaneous task committee of the Annual Symposium of KDU-2012.
Referred Journal Articles
- A.J. I. S. Rathnayake, W. M. M. S. Bandara, N.F. Neththikumara, H. W. W. Goonasekera, and V. H. W. Dissanayake, Novel recurrent mutations in hematopoietic and mesenchymal stem cell compartments in de novo Myelodysplastic Syndromes, manuscript in preparation
- W. M. M. S. Bandara and A.J. I. S. Rathnayake (2018). Effect of Long Term Exercises on Cardiometabolic risk factors. Manuscript in preparation for an invited review. Chronicle of Medicine and Surgery. 2 (5) 254 to 262
- W M Manoj Senaka Bandara, A J Iresha Sandeepanie Rathnayake , Korotta Gamage Somasiri (2017) The effect of long term physical exercises on plasma cortisol levels. International Journal of Medicine. 5 (2) (2017) 239-242
- Muthunuwan JT, Ganhewa AGKH, Perera HDSG, Hishaam M, Bandara WMMS, HAKM Gunasekera (2017). Preliminary survey on knowledge, attitudes and practices regarding rabies. Sri Lankan Journal of Infectious Diseases. 7 (1):38-46
- Manoj S. Bandara, Hemali W.W. Goonasekera , Vajira H.W. Dissanayake (2016). The utility of haematopoietic stem cell karyotyping in the diagnosis of de novo myelodysplastic syndromes. Journal of Hematopathology 9 (3)121–128
- Bandara WMMS, Rathnayake AJIS, Goonasekera HWW and Dissanayake VHW, (2016), Development of Cytogenetic Abnormalities in Myelodysplastic Syndromes. J Mol Genet Med; 10(2):pp10002171-5.
- Bandara WMMS, Rathnayake AJIS, Basnayake BWMTJ, De Silva MKOK, Edirisinghe D, Somasiri KG. (2016).Long term physical exercise improves cardiometabolic risk factors. Jour of Med Sc & Tech; 5(1) 34 – 39.
- Cunqi Ye, WMMS Bandara, Miriam L Greenberg (2013) Regulation of inositol metabolism is fine-tuned by inositol pyrophosphates in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Biological Chemistry 288 (34) 24898-24908
- Fei Song, Manoj Bandara, Harvinder Deol, Jeffrey A Loeb, Joyce Benjamins, Robert P Lisak (2013) Complexity of trophic factor signaling in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis: Differential expression of neurotrophic and gliotrophic factors. Journal of Neuroimmunology. 262(1-2):11-8
- Bandara, W. M. M. S. Silva, L. P. Rajapaksha, W. R. A. K. J. S. (2007) Sensitivity of PCR assay technique for processed meat. Indian Vet J .84 (8) 842-844
- Gamini Seneviratne, J. S. Zavahir, W. M. M. S. Bandara and M. L. M. A. W. Weerasekara (2007) Fungal-bacterial biofilms: their development for novel biotechnological applications. World J Microbiol Biotechnol.24 (5) 739-743
- Bandara W M M S, Seneviratne G and Kulasooriya S A (2006) Interactions among endophytic bacteria and fungi: effects and potentials; J. Biosci. 31(5) 645–650.
Communications at Scientific Meetings Published as Abstracts
- W.M.M.S. Bandara, N.F Neththikumara, A.J.I S Rathnayake, H. W. W. Goonasekera. , V. H. W. Dissanayake. Next Generation Sequencing Anaysis of Haematopoietic Stem Cells in a Sri Lankan Cohort of Myelodysplastic Syndromes patients. Annual Scientific Sessions 2017, Sri Lanka College of Hematologists, pp 22.
- Bandara W.M.M.S, Neththikumara NF, Goonasekera H. W. W , Dissanayake V. H. W. Investigating the Mutational Status of Haematopoietic Stem Cells in de novo Myelodysplastic Syndromes. Sri Lanka Medical Association, 130th Anniversary International Medical Congress 2017, Ceylon Medical Journal, Volume 62, Supplement 1, July 2017, p 266.
- W.M.M.S. Bandara, N.F Neththikumara, H. W. W. Goonasekera. , V. H. W. Dissanayake , A next generation sequencing approach to understand the mutational status of haematopoietic stem cells of de novo myelodysplastic syndromes. Annual research symposium 2017, University of Colombo, p 225.
- Bandara, WMMS, Rathnayake, AJIS, Neththikumara, NF, Goonasekera, HWW and Dissanayake, VHW Genetic bio-marker discovery in de novo Myelodysplastic Syndromes. National Health Research Symposium, 2017, Ministry of Health Nutrition & Indigenous Medicine.
- W. M. Manoj S Bandara, Hemali W W Goonasekera,Vajira H W Dissanayake. Cytogenetic characterization of Sri Lankan patients with de novo Myelodysplastic Syndromes. 13th International Congress of Human Genetics, April 03-07 2016, Kyoto International Conference Center, Japan. (Abstracted in the proceedings of the conference)
- Bandara WM M S, Dissanayake V H W, Goonasekera HW W. Cytogenetic characterization of bone marrow and hematopoietic stem cells in primary Myelodysplastic Syndromes. Second International conference on Natural Products Genomics and Drug Discovery, “Basic and Translational Research on Cancer and Inflammation” June 23-24 2016, Colombo , Sri Lanka. (Abstracted in the proceedings of the conference p13).
- K G Somasiri, B W M T J Basnayake, M K O K De Silva, W M M S Bandara, A J I S Rathnayake, E P D R Edirisinghe (2015) Comparison of Physical Health Parameters of Cadets and Day Scholars in General Sir John Kotelwala Defence University (KDU). 8th International research conference, technical sessions medicine, 27 – 28 August. General Sir John Kotelawela Defence University. Rathmalana, Sri Lanka.
- WMMS Bandara, AJIS Rathnayake, BWMTJ Basnayake, MKOK De Silva, D. Edirisinghe, B.C.I.J.N. Nanayakkara and KG Somasiri (2014) Military Training Improves Lipid Profile. International research conference, technical sessions medicine, 21 – 22 August. General Sir John Kotelawela Defence University. Rathmalana, Sri Lanka, pp 57-58
- M K O K De Silva1, K G Somasiri2, B W M T J Basnayake1, E P D R Edirisinghe1, W M M S Bandara1, A J I S Rathnayake (2014) Title : Reliability and Validity of the Sinhala translation of the Lakaev Academic Stress Response Scale (LASRS-S) (accepted for Poster Presentation at the 127th Anniversary International Medical Congress of the Sri Lanka Medical Association)
- W. M. M. S. Bandara (2012). The Effect of Mutants in the inositol biosynthesis on the therapeutic action of valproate. Annual International Symposium, General Sir John Kotelawela Defence University. 22nd & 23rd August 2012. (Abstracted in the Proceedings of the Conference)
- W. M. M. S. Bandara (2012). Can genetic alterations in inositol biosynthesis affect patients responsiveness to Valproate? Scientific Sessions 2012, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sri Jayawardenepura.p22-23
- F. Song, J. Loeb, M. Bandara, J. Benjamins, R. Lisak (2011). Disease stage and severity in experimental allergic encephalomyelitis modulate expression of gliotrophic and neurotrophic factors. Multiple Sclerosis Journal 17: S53–S276
- W.M.M.S Bandara and G. Seneviratne (2006). Importance of interactions among endophytes for plant growth Proceedings of the 62nd Annual Sessions, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science. pp419/D
FACULTY OF MEDICINE, General Sir John Kotelawela Defence University, Sri Lanka
- Major in the Sri Lanka Army Volunteer Force (August 2011- to date)
- Senior Lecturer in Biochemistry, Department of Pre Clinical Sciences (August 2011- to date)
- Head Biochemistry, Department of Pre Clinical Sciences (July 2015- to date)
- Web Manager (May 2012 – May 2015)
- Researcher, Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Detroit , MI USA (May 2010 – Jan 2011)
The research work concentrated on understanding the protective effects of glatiramer acetate (GA) which is prescribed to treat multiple sclerosis on neurons and oligodendrocytes. Research was for Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd Israel.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI USA (September 2007 – May 2009)
Teaching Biology for undergarduate students, gading and evaluations
- Graduate Research Assistant, Wayne State University, Detroit , MI USA (May 2008 to May 2010)
Effects of mutations in the inositol metabolism of yeast on the sensitivity to Valproic acid (VPA) which is used to treat bipolar disorder.
- Research Assistant, Institute of Fundamental Studies, Sri Lanka (March 2005 – June 2007)
Development of endophytic fungal/bacterial biofilms in vitro and perform in vitro and in vivo tests to test their applicability as potential biofertilizers
- Research Assistant, Veterinary Research Institute. Sri Lanka (January 2004 – January 2005)
Identification and analysis of processed meat samples by a PCR based technique.
- Demonstrator, Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (May 2003- December 2003).
Teaching Biotechnology for undergraduates and organized laboratory sections for undergraduates
- Visiting Demonstrator, Post Graduate Institute of Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka (June 2003- December 2003)
Conducted laboratory sessions for MSc. Students
- Best oral presentation: Annual Scientific Sessions 2017, Sri Lanka College of Hematologists.
- A team member of the NSF research award for Biomarker Discovery in Haematology – Myelodysplastic Syndromes under Programme on Health Science/expression of interest in 2016
- NSF travelling fellowship OSTP/2012/24
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Biological Sciences graduate program, Wayne state University, USA 2007
- Scholarship for masters degree program, ministry of Science and Technology, Sri Lanka and Asian Development Bank 2004
Dissemination of Knowledge as a Resource Person
- A resource person for “Applications & Hands on Training Workshop on Stem Cells” from 18th to 20th May 2016 at the Human Genetics Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo.
- A resource person for the postgraduate diploma in medical physiology to conduct teaching /learning activities in the endocrinology module at PGIM in 2015.
- Acting as a visiting lecturer for the Biomedical engineering program at department of electrical engineering at FOE-KDU from 2014 –to date.
- Supervision and assistance for research paper for master’s degree in defence studies at Staff college,Sapugaskanda titled “effective strategy to strengthen the slandered of athletics in Sri Lankan school level” of Sqn Ldr GGSR Gunawardane in 2013.
- A resource person of the “Career Guidance Seminar” organized by Richmond College Union (Colombo) at Richmond College in 2012.
- A member of the Sub-committee to develop guidelines for Stem Cell Research in Sri Lanka appointed under NSF Working Committee on Bioethics -2018
- Life member, Institute of Biology, Sri Lanka
- Life member, National Science Foundation (NSF), Sri Lanka
- Life member, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS), Sri Lanka
- President, Sri Lankan Student Association, Wayne State University, USA (May 2008- May 2009)
- Treasurer, Zoologists Association, University of Peradeniya, (August 2001- August 2002)